Indecent Decency

Source: Google Images


It is a common trend to ask someone "How are you" every time you meet them. It has come to become such an integral part of the inaugural discussion that it doesn't seem awkward to say, "Hi, How are you?" in one breath. Asking someone their well being is considered to be decency and someone not reciprocating actually risks being labelled as indecent.

Well, let me confess. I find this pretty annoying as most of the people asking this question don't intend to know the answer. The "how are you" after the "Hi" has become equivalent to a greeting and lost its meaning somewhere.

In simple language asking "How are you" means inquiring about the other person's health.But now we are so engrossed within ourselves that we find it difficult to find time to genuinely understand the importance of this answer. Our busyness has robbed the beauty of this question. Everytime I am asked this it hurts to know that the opposite person is just being formal and is not genuinely keen on knowing about me.

I choose not the answer this question or ask it unless it is genuine.

Yes, I pause after asking this question, looking into that person's eyes waiting for the answer. I don't let them leave this question unanswered. I am trying to make that person feel that I am genuinely interested in them and show a true concern as they are special to me.

So the next time you meet someone after a long time, do ask "How are you?" only if you mean it.!!

Popular posts from this blog

Metro Diaries: The Art of Making Love

What is love?